[x3d-public] MacOS: El Capitan breaks X3DOM volume rendering

Vincent Marchetti vmarchetti at ameritech.net
Fri Aug 19 05:47:58 PDT 2016

Dave

Thanks for the detailed reply. It may be that the problem with X3DOM volume rendering under El Capitan is the combination of the new Metal framework and the GPU on my older Mac Mini (the graphics is Intel Iris, politely described as 'low end').

Time to visit the Apple Store and check this on a variety of Mac models.

Vince

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 8:21 AM, Dave Murphy <d.murphy at cs.ucc.ie> wrote:
>
> hi Vincent,
>
> just did a quick check and it’s working fine on:
>
> OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6 (15G31)
> Safari version 9.1.2 (11601.7.7)
> on a Mac Book Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
> with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
>

> cheers
> rgds Dave
> __________________________
> David Murphy
>
> Department of Computer Science
> Room 1.77
> Western Gateway Building
> University College Cork
> Ireland
>

> e: d.murphy at cs.ucc.ie
> map: http://bit.ly/WGB_UCC
> w: http://multimedia.ucc.ie
> w: http://www.imclab.ucc.ie
> w: http://www.cs.ucc.ie/staff/dmurphy.html
>

> On 18 Aug 2016, at 21:17, Vincent Marchetti <vmarchetti at ameritech.net> wrote:
>
> I just discovered that volume rendering in X3DOM seems to break in the latest Mac system release:  "El Capitan"
>
> Looking at the WebGL-based adaptation of X3D volume rendering, as demonstrated on the Vicomtech demo pages http://demos.vicomtech.org ; in particular the http://demos.vicomtech.org/medx3dom2015/volrenOpacityTest_body.xhtml example:
>
> Here is that page as rendered in Safari, running under "El Capitan" a.k.a Mac OS 10.11.6
>
> <ElCapitan VolRen screenshot.jpeg>
>
> (Note: Not obvious in this screenshot, but one "slice" of the volume image faintly appears in the El Capitan rendering)
>

> while in Safari, under "Yosemite" a.k.a. Mac OS 10.10.5

Vincent Marchetti
vmarchetti at ameritech.net