[x3d-public] [x3d] Spec Comment by on 19775-1: Abstract X3D Definitions - V3.3: Material alpha modulation with Lighting on (Mantis 973)

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 26 07:11:43 PDT 2016

might be just one term in table 17-3 needs to change to get post-table modulation as per sentences.
And perhaps v3.4 or BrowserOption for FULL modulation.
-Doug

For proper post-table modulation, I think only one entry in 17-3 needs to change:
Post-Table modulation:
v channels    CPV                        noCPV
0 ODrgb = ICrgb                   ODrgb=  (1,1,1)* only change
0   A = (1-TM)                         A= (1-TM)
1 ODrgb = ICrgb                   ODrgb= IT
1  A = (1-TM)                          A= (1-TM)
2 ODrgb = ICrgb                   ODrgb= IT
2  A = (1-TM) x AT                   A = (1-TM) x AT
3 ODrgb = ICrgb                   ODrgb = ITrgb
3 A = (1-TM)                           A = (1-TM)
4 ODrgb = ICrgb                   ODrgb = ITrgb
4  A = (1-TM) x AT                    A = (1-TM) x AT
Then post-table modulation:
ODrgb = ODrgb x IDrgb

If textures from images with no alpha, have their alpha padded to 1.0, then post-table calculation of alpha:
A = Image ? (1-TM) x AT : (1-TM) x 1.0  //assumes no-alpha images are give alpha 1.0

========== FULL MODULATION OF CRGB ===============================
For post-table FULL MODULATION of CPV (color per vertex) -a change to web3d.org prescribed behaviour-
v channels    CPV                        noCPV
0 CDrgb = ICrgb                   TDrgb=  (1,1,1)* only change
1 CDrgb = ICrgb                   TDrgb= IT   //expand luminance to RGB = LLL
2 CDrgb = ICrgb                   TDrgb= IT  //expand luminance to RGB = LLL
3 CDrgb = ICrgb                   TDrgb = ITrgb
4 CDrgb = ICrgb                   TDrgb = ITrgb
Post-Table Modulation:
TDrgb *= IDrgb
ODrgb = CPV ? CDrgb x TDrgb : TDrgb
A = Image ? (1-TM) * AT : (1-TM) * 1.0  //assumes no-alpha images are give alpha 1.0

Or simplifying
Post-Table FULL modulation of TDrgb with ICrgb:
v channels  noCPV
0 TDrgb=  (1,1,1)* only change
1 TDrgb= IT //expand luminance to RGB = LLL
2 TDrgb= IT //expand luminance to RGB = LLL
3 TDrgb = ITrgb
4 TDrgb = ITrgb