[x3d-public] [x3d] meet 25August 2016: Java SAI and X3D Object Model (corrected)

Jagathshree Suryanarayanan Iyer jagath at vt.edu
Fri Aug 26 10:23:08 PDT 2016

Thank you Dr. Brutzman, it was a great talking to you. I will go through
the links that you have shared and also, I will be happy to take advice
from the X3D community for my project.

Unfortunately, I could not join the call yesterday and missed the
opportunity to talk to other members of the working group here. I am
looking forward to one in future.

Best Regards,
Jagathshree

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> Here are some links of interest regarding our autogeneration of updated
> API.
>
> Top level: X3D Specifications: XML Schema and DOCTYPE Validation
>         http://www.web3d.org/specifications
>
>         X3D Graphics Standard: Specification Relationships
>         http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelation
> ships.png
>
> Of primary interest is 19775-1 X3D Abstract Architecture.  Everything else
> builds from that.
>
> Next is X3D Object Model, which attempts to capture those relations
> exactly, which is autogenerated from X3D XML Schema.
>
>         X3D Object Model (likely need to View Source)
>         http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DObjectModel-3.3.xml
>
> Roy Walmsley and I have been carefully annotating the XML Schema to make
> this thoroughly correct.  I'd estimate that we are somewhere above 90%
> complete.
>
> Here is the payoff:  we are autogenerating the Java Scene Access Interface
> (SAI)
>
>         http://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/java/javadoc/
>
> Soon there will be a .jar that collects these interfaces.  This is ready
> to begin testing (aka beta).
>
> It would be good to learn if Instant Reality, Xj3D, FreeWrl and other X3D
> players supports this API exactly.  Most have recreated it themselves, so
> it is necessary to compile your X3D Script node Java source against that
> specific player.
>
> Specifically, the org.web3d.x3d.sai package _only_ includes interfaces.
> Theoretically any SAI source can compile, but it won't run unless it is
> with a specific player.  Such interoperability is untested.  We think that
> everyone has implemented independently.
>
> For future work I plan to soon add a Plain Old Java Object (POJO) version
> for standalone programming.  Package name will likely be org.web3d.x3d.pojo
> or something like that.
>
> So this is active work!  Please let us know what your project is about and
> we can advise further.  Thanks for your interest.

> brutzman at nps.edu
> Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA
> +1.831.656.2149
> X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzma

Jagathshree Suryanarayanan Iyer,
M.S. Candidate, Computer Science,