[x3d-public] announce: X3D Java Scene Authoring Interface (SAI):pretty-print HTML documentation

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Dec 1 22:28:01 PST 2016

On 12/1/2016 3:00 PM, yottzumm at gmail.com wrote:
> What I’m wondering, Don, is can you roundtrip your Java HelloWorldProgram.java to XML and back to Java.  Where is the code go to from XML to Java for an X3D XML Document, not the Object Model.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

Great thinking John, spot on.  For the moment am holding back from that important step... My plan is to first keep testing and extending the X3D Java SAI Library to make sure the architecture and source-code design patterns are programmer friendly.

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/examples/HelloWorldProgram.java

Tonight's addition is providing programmer "choice of XSLT engines, can use method ConfigurationProperties.setXsltEngine(String filename) with XSLT_ENGINE_saxon (default) or XSLT_ENGINE_nativeJava.  TODO: precompile stylesheets for potentially higher run-time performance."

Checked into Sourceforge and uploading to the website (hopefully satisfactorily).

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/java/X3dJavaSceneAuthoringInterface.html#UtilityMethods

Once the current feature fury settles down to a dull roar, maybe this year, am planning to write an XSLT stylesheet to convert .x3d scenes to equivalent .java source.

Once that works, we can convert all of the X3D Examples to .java variants.  Gee, suddenly exposing 3863 X3D scenes as cross-check unit tests certainly helped us succeed with the X3D JSON encoding development!

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

	http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_JSON_Encoding

Meanwhile all usage/feedback/improvements regarding the X3D Java SAI Library (and thus X3D Object Model) are of course welcome.  Being able to experiment with X3D via json xml java etc. allows tremendous flexibility for anyone who wants it.  Having both X3DOM and Cobweb steadily improving gives us... approximately, um, any screen anywhere for rendering and interaction.

X3D version 4 advancements seems to progress daily.  Can VR really be that far away?

Wow, December already.  What a year - am guessing 2017 will get even busier.  Looking forward to seeing others at VR Hackathon in San Francisco this weekend!

	http://vrhackathon.com/san_francisco.html