[x3d-public] x3d-3.3-JSONSchema documentation available

Roy Walmsley roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 6 02:39:56 PST 2016

Hi Yves,

Thank you for your comments. You made five, which I will respond to.

1)      "connect" only listed within "IS": Was it intentional?  It wasn't
intentional to not list it separately. However, it is only used by IS. But
where is it in the abstract specification 19775-1? Hadn't noticed before,
but I'm not finding it. This seems to be an omission that needs
rectification. Thanks for drawing attention to this topic.

2)      JSON is planned for 19776 Part 5: Will there be a Part 4? Yes, a
part 4 was planned first, although it has been overtaken in terms of
progress by JSON. Part 4 was planned to be the Efficient Binary Encoding.
See http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png.

3)      Use of the distinct prefixes "@" and "-": I'll let Don answer this
one more fully. However, below is the section from the draft standard (which
is at the stage where we are working to get approval for release to the
public for review - see also comment 5)) which covers this important point :

4)      Rationale for use of prefix "@": We tried to keep the prefix for use
on fields, or properties of "statements" that are like fields. "Statements"
do not get a prefix.

5)      Access to draft standard: Sorry, but the draft standard is currently
only available to members. This is a requirement of the Consortium bylaws
which arises because of possible IPR issues (it applies to all new drafts).
There are procedures for making it public. It is hoped to do that soon.

4.3.1.3 Encoding of field names

Each node type defines the names and types of it's fields. These can be
broadly classified into two main field types:

1.	Children fields: These fields are either SFNode or MFNode type, and
their values are other nodes.
2.	Value fields: These are all the remaining field types.

As defined in 4.3.2.10 Field property syntax
<file:///E:/Software%20Development/HTML5%20Training/Github/X3D/ISO-IEC%20197
76/ISO-IEC%2019776-5/ISO-IEC%2019776-5%20V3.3/ISO-IEC%2019776-5%20V3.3%20WD1
/Part05/concepts.html#FieldPropertySyntax>  a field statement consists of
the encoded name of the field, a comma separator, and then the value or
values. The field name shall always be a JSON string. To disambiguate
language constructs that are not X3D nodes or structural statements a field
name shall be prefixed as follows, with no change to the capitalization of
the field name:

1.	Children fields: The "-" character.
2.	Value fields: The "@" character.

EXAMPLE: The Box node has three fields, namely metadata, size, and solid, as
defined in the node signature in 13.3.1 Box of ISO/IEC 19775-1
<file:///E:/Software%20Development/HTML5%20Training/Github/X3D/ISO-IEC%20197
76/ISO-IEC%2019776-5/ISO-IEC%2019776-5%20V3.3/ISO-IEC%2019776-5%20V3.3%20WD1
/Part05/references.html#I19775_1> . When encoded into JSON these three field
names are encoded as "-metadata", "@size", and "@solid" respectively.

Thanks again,

All the best,

Roy