[x3d-public] x3d-3.3-JSONSchema documentation available

Yves Piguet yves.piguet at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 05:56:58 PST 2016

> On 7 Dec 2016, at 09:38, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:
>
> Helpful technique:  example scene to illustrate issues of interest

I've improved the support for xml and json encodings in Calerga VR, both to load and to export files.

https://calerga.com/vr/playground.html

To convert a file, put it in the text area (menu "Load" for a built-in file, or drag a local file, or/and edit it), then load it in Calerga VR (one of the two "play" buttons), then click one of the Export links and load again to check. "x3dv/i" is Classic VRML encoding with implicit field names for SFNode/MFNode where the field name matches the default containerField, and "json/x" is "json experimental": same prefix "@" for all node field names to avoid name clashes, and no prefix elsewhere. The root element is "X3D-x" instead of "X3D" to know what to expect. In all cases, reloading works fine with the files I've tested.

Three more remarks: I've added support in xml and json encodings for expression in fields and filter in routes (try to convert e.g. Servo.x3dv). Conversion between vrml (wrl) and x3d (any encoding) doesn't touch the field names and hence doesn't produce valid files with Switch or LOD nodes (it would be risky because of scripts). And conversion with load+export requires a successful load, i.e. nodes and fields recognized by Calerga VR in its current completion state. See https://calerga.com/vr/notes.html

If there is interest, I could make a command-line tool with Node and batch-convert the files of X3dExamplesConformanceNist.

Best,

Yves