[x3d-public] X3D VR

Mitchell Williams m1.williams at partner.samsung.com
Wed Dec 21 11:12:53 PST 2016

I’m developing GearVR’s X3D implementation.

Our implementation is an X3D parser that builds GearVR data structures.  You won’t find the X3D data structures such as <Appearance> or <Shape> in GearVR.  We only  support X3D data types such as SFColor, SFVec3f, etc to enable scripting.  At times, additional methods were added to these data structures [For example SFBool can set the Boolean by an integer 0 = false, or ‘false’ as a text string] to support our developers.

I expect to implement the Render-to-Texture node based on X3Dom.  GearVR does implement Render-to-Texture functionality.

A few issues of X3D don’t apply to virtual reality, for example setting Viewpoint’s orientation.  Generally in VR, we want to fix the orientation in the direction one is looking.  The <Anchor> can link to a web page – not clear how we would implement that in VR.

X3D may consider implementing some of the gyroscopic sensors in VR headsets.  Also, be prepared for various I/O controllers such as Wands, or Oculus hand controllers.

Mitch