[x3d-public] X3D VR

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 21:49:56 PST 2016

Let's start with the RenderedTexture node since it is in actual use.

References first:

http://doc.x3dom.org/author/Texturing/RenderedTexture.html

http://realism.com/blog/3d-google-cardboard

http://doc.instantreality.org/documentation/nodetype/RenderedTexture/?filter=None

http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/x3d_implementation_texturing_extensions.php#section_ext_rendered_texture

http://www.xj3d.org/extensions/render_texture.html

All follow the initial xj3d extension but only x3dom uses the node for
stereo rendering by adding stereoMode and interpupillaryDistance fields.
For a stereo pair it is necessary to use two RenderedTexture nodes, for
each of the eyes, with 'RIGHT_EYE' or 'LEFT_EYE' stereoMode values.

Using the interEye distance the node can then construct offsets from the
viewpoint position for rendering.

My extension adds 'RIGHT_VR' and 'LEFT_VR' stereoMode values which trigger
direct retrieval of the current left and right view and projection matrixes
from the VR display via the WebVR API. I currently multiply this view
matrix with the view matrix derived from the viewpoint's position and
orientation. I believe this behavior is more compatible with mouse
navigation which is also relative to the bound viewpoint. Mitch suggested
that viewpoint orientation values do not apply for GearVR . This is
consistent with leaving position and orientation values at their defaults,
eg. looking straight ahead.

The interpupillaryDistance field can be safely ignored since the VR display
provided matrixes already take this into account (after a user went through
a runtime calibration procedure). Similarly, the fov and width/height
aspect ratios are device specific and already properly accounted for. In
addition, apparently there is some fine tuning of the projection matrix to
lens characteristics.

There is a failure mode when 'RIGHT_VR' is requested but no VR display is
available. Currently, I plan to fall back to 'RIGHT_EYE' .

There is another additional, SFInt field 'vrDisplay' in my extension which
defines the index of the webVR display to be used in case multiple devices
are available.

The RenderedTexture approach is a low-level solution which requires some
changes to a scene for VR purposes. It turns out it is possible to build
helpers in the form of injectors or likely as protos on top which make it
very easy to use this approach for existing scenes.

In terms of parallel rendering of stereo pairs the RenderedTexture approach
may not be ideal since the nodes for each eye are independent from each
other. Presumably, a smart browser could search for matched pairs of nodes
and combine their rendering but that does not sound very promising.

Andreas