[x3d-public] Current X3D adoption

John Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Dec 28 13:24:06 PST 2016

Hello Maxim,

I mentioned some more comments. Here are my humble musings. Hopefully there are not to many omissions. Corrections are welcome.

Looking at the provided link it seems that the standards committee is interested in various technologies. The 3D Body Scanning Technologies conference link gives a synopsis. The standardization goals seem to focus on fashion, health and wellness. Industry is invited. I assume that a standard would be proposed that would allow for the integration of various scanning, kinematics, modelling and simulation technologies.

I suggest that you look up the Medicine Meets Virtual Reality conference.[ MMVR]. This has lots of topics of interest, especially from the medical simulation field. Also you can look at just about and simulation conference. The Summersim conference [www.scs.org] generally has a medical simulation track with telemedicine and simulation use cases.

The best course is to accept Joe Williams invitation. Also look into the Medical and Mixed Augmented Reality groups.

So, the core 3-D XML for “Virtual People” is being addressed. The Web3D consortium has lots of industry participation.

So, you need a 3-D file format. Then you need a viewer. Then you need 3-D Modeling and animation systems that export to the chosen format.

The Viewer: The current crop of VR/MR/AR activity is geared towards commercial competition. Occulus, Google, Sony, Microsoft. That means competing and most likely non interoperable proprietary file formats, API’s and Headset hardware drivers. It is irrelevant whether this is good or bad. That means that the potential viewers are most likely to be inherently non-interoperable. If one industry entity or consortium in the headset market dominates then the viewer standards will have to support the dominant hardware/software which will most likely force a proprietary file format to be the standard file format.

If the viewer is web based and not headset then WebGL is possible. The Web3D consortium may have a WebGL AR solution.

3-D Modeling and Animation: I think that in general the normal dominant formats are STL, OBJ, 3DS, DXF/DWG, VRML97 ( since we are in the X3D mailing list …J )with FBX, IGES,STEP, LWO and Collada (game format) thrown in. But most modeling and animation systems already support import or export or both with respect to these formats. Plus others of course since applications have their target domains. So, really, the only issue is how well the systems import or export these file formats so that your VR/AR/MR “world” does not crash the viewer.

3-D File formats: VRML97/X3D is an ISO standard. IGES is an ANSI/ASME/Mil-STD. STL is proprietary but really is widely adopted. STEP is an ISO standard. All the others are widely adopted proprietary file formats.

So,

1)      VRML97/X3D plus working group extensions related to bodies is a royalty free ISO standard. I am assuming that is why it is being looked at for a core component of any IEEE body standard.

2)      IEEE is trying to generate VR and AR standards which is why the original poster started this thread.

3)      3-D scanners tend to output STL or VRML97 or OBJ. Others of course but I suspect that these are at least 3 important ones, especially if medical objects are printed. My body was scanned at SIGGRAPH last august and I got STL and OBJ files.

4)      All Modeling and Animation systems pay attention to a core suite of formats but they REALLY WANT YOU TO USE THEIR DEFAULT FILE FORMAT. If you are a conspiracy theorist that translates into “are you having trouble converting or importing or exporting or viewing – why not use out file format and our viewer”.

5)      If the IEES body standard has VRML97/X3D plus STL and OBJ compatibility at a minimum with suggested compatibility with the others listed above [3DS, DXF/DWG, IGES, STEP and Collada] then starting the standardization process may have minimal risks.

6)      Also, once you have the creation and viewing standards you need to incorporate some sort of dominant simulation standard for distributed simulation. You can try SISO [www.sisostds.org] or EUROSIS.

7)      DIS-Java-VRML (which already exists) anyone…J

8)      The simulation community just can’t seem to kill off DIS. But HLA is one future just like X3D is one future of VRML97.

Good luck in your standards endeavors.

John