[x3d-public] Current X3D adoption

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Dec 29 13:17:51 PST 2016

Hello again Maxim.

Of further note is that we have two forms of compression - geometric and information/XML-based - which are now scheduled for renewed efforts to standardize in the coming year.  These can each be accomplished compatibly with W3C's open standards for XML Security: XML Encryption for privacy and XML Signature for authentication.

	X3D Compressed Binary Encoding Activity
	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d/compressed-binary-encoding-activity

	X3D Binary Compression Capabilities and Plans
	http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_Binary_Compression_Capabilities_and_Plans

Web3D Standardization Roadmap efforts are maturing steadily.

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png

Primary technologies being integrated:

a.  Geometric compression: Shape Resource Container (SRC) with 2016 efforts on SRC and glTF alignment essentially complete

	https://x3dom.org/src
	http://www.web3d.org/src-and-gltf

b.  Information compression: Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) recommendations, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

	https://www.w3.org/XML/EXI

Our public/member process has provided an excellent framework for deliberate evolution.  As ever, the pace of progress depends on the contributions of both companies and engaged individuals.

Since every Web3D standard must have at least 2 independent implementations, with at least 1 being open source, there is often a good basis of source code to work from.  YMMV.

Anita Havele (cc:ed) is our Executive Director, please contact her if you'd like to know more about how Texel might engage.

	Join the Web3D Consortium
	http://www.web3d.org/join