[x3d-public] Topics for Discussion at JSON meeting: SFNode/MFNode field/fieldValue content, ProtoBody, regexes

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Feb 6 10:03:52 PST 2016

On 2/6/2016 2:39 AM, Roy Walmsley wrote:
> Don,
>
> Thanks for your in-depth considerations.

Likewise thank you Roy.

> The only one I would like to comment further on is that regarding nodes in ProtoBody.  This is my topic 3).
>
> I can see your argument, and, in some ways, agree. However, how would that be validated? I have a ProtoBody element, to which I need to assign properties. What properties should I assign. Using your method I would have to assign every possible containerField name, and assign the nodes that can go there. Another disadvantage is that comments would be confined to the -children property, losing some of the ability to be located with most of the nodes they refer to.
>
> Using a single -children field means it is the only property I have to assign. Yes, I have to add every concrete node as a possible child. It also has the advantage that comments can be interspersed.

Regarding comments: yes agreed, and as with other X3D encodings, a prototype engine needs to skip over any comments that appear before the first ProtoBody node.

Creating a prototype that acts solely as a comment is not an allowed design option.

> At the moment there is no easy way to validate that a ProtoInstance is being used in the correct place. Validation would need to be able to find the first child of the relevant ProtoBody and check that it could be used in the field that calls up the ProtoInstance.
>
> Let's take a small example excerpt. It's not meant to be meaningful, only illustrative of principles.
>
> <ProtoDeclare>
>    <ProtoInterface/>
>    <ProtoBody>
>      <MetadataBoolean/>
>    </ProtoBody>
> </ProtoDeclare>
> <MetadataSet>
>      <ProtoInstance name="myProto" containerField="value"/>
> </MetadataSet>
> <MetadataSet>
>      <ProtoInstance name="myProto" containerField="metadata"/>
> </MetadataSet>
>
> How would the JSON encoding handle the ProtoBody? Will you assign it to a  -metadata or a -value field?

For a terse element like <MetadataBoolean/> the default containerField value (provided during parsing by the X3D Schema or X3D DTD) is what would be assigned.  In this case, default containerField="metadata" for the Metadata* nodes.

So, in the current JSON encoding that is deployed, the JSON version of your ProtoDeclare above would use "-metadata" as the key.

> The JSON encoding of the MetadataSet and the ProtoInstance would correctly assign the ProtoInstance to the appropriate field in each case. So there is no loss of information if the ProtoBody assigns the MetadataBoolean to a generic -children field.

Aha.  Really critical point, indeed the crux of the matter.  What specifically needs to not get lost is the node type of the first node.  Hmmm.

I've been thinking that if we indeed want to move that initial node in the current JSON encoding, by putting the initial node at the top of the "-children" field, then (instead of containerField) a different way to identify the node-type information may be needed.

That now seems overcautious though... the node type isn't indicated by containerField, the node type is actually indicated by the node name.

Hmmm.... let's press on a bit further as you suggest.

> Now, consider a variation.
>
> <ProtoDeclare>
>    <ProtoInterface/>
>    <ProtoBody>
>      <MetadataBoolean/>
>      <MetadataBoolean/>
>    </ProtoBody>
> </ProtoDeclare>
>
> Now, how would you encode the ProtoBody? According to the strict wording of the specification is It illegal to use this prototype in a -metadata field? The first node is still legal! So the wording of the specification is probably insufficient.
>
> Has that muddied the waters?

Well, for sake of discussion, let's call the second MetadataBoolean a MetadataDouble instead.  Slightly less muddy:

<ProtoDeclare>
   <ProtoInterface/>
   <ProtoBody>
     <MetadataBoolean/>
     <MetadataDouble/>
   </ProtoBody>
</ProtoDeclare>

Using this prototype as an instance would put the MetadataBoolean as an active node in the scene graph, while the MetadataDouble would be just hanging "alongside" it in the scene graph, rather than within the scene graph per se...  Indeed any other nodes could also appear alongside, these are not rendered or traversed, and simply sit over on the side unless activated somehow by the first node.

Elaborating this notion of "straphanger" nodes along for the ride...  From spec, as before:

> 7.2.5.8 PROTO statement
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/core.html#PROTOStatement
> (last paragraph)
> "The <protoDefinition> consists of a list of nodes the first of which is used to specify the node type for the prototype. This list may instantiate other prototypes provided that the definitions of the referenced prototypes precede this PROTO statement. See 4.4.4.3 PROTO definition semantics for details."

That first specification sentence above puts no restrictions on what the other nodes in the list might be.

btw putting a comma somewhere in that sentence couldn't hurt...  Dick do you need a full feedback report + Mantis issue + teleconference agenda item to add that comma?  :0

Anyway, if we continue as spec suggests, we see that the lack of restrictions on those nodes is indeed intentional:

==================================
4.4.4.3 PROTO definition semantics

A prototype definition consists of one or more nodes, nested PROTO statements, and ROUTE statements. The first node type determines how instantiations of the prototype can be used in an X3D file. An instantiation is created by filling in the parameters of the prototype declaration and inserting copies of the first node (and its scene graph) wherever the prototype instantiation occurs.

EXAMPLE  If the first node in the prototype definition is a Material node, instantiations of the prototype can be used wherever a Material node can be used. Any other nodes and accompanying scene graphs are not part of the transformation hierarchy, but may be referenced by ROUTE statements or Script nodes in the prototype definition.
==================================

So this allows a prototype author to carry around as many invisible baggage nodes as they want, stashed at the top of the ProtoBody after the first node.  It also means that we do not validate the nodes appearing at the top level within a ProtoBody, since any nodes can appear in that list of nodes without constraint.

If that first node has contained content, it must be a valid scene subgraph.  Otherwise it can't be validly plugged in elsewhere in the scene as a ProtoInstance.

In practice, that validation-free-zone (at the top level of the ProtoBody) is a very good place to put Scripts, ROUTEs, and nodes with IS/connect that can hold ProtoInterface field initialization values.

Illustrative examples:

<ProtoDeclare name="invalid">
   <ProtoInterface/>
   <ProtoBody>
     <MetadataBoolean>
       <-- contained nodes are strictly validated, so the following nodes fail inside a MetadataBoolean -->
       <Script/>
       <ROUTE/>
       <ROUTE/>
     </MetadataBoolean>
   </ProtoBody>
</ProtoDeclare>

<ProtoDeclare name="valid">
   <ProtoInterface/>
   <ProtoBody>
     <MetadataBoolean/>
     <-- follow-on sibling nodes are not strictly validated at top level, though their children will be -->
     <Script/>
     <ROUTE/>
     <ROUTE/>
     <WorldInfo>
       <IS>
         <connect/>
       </IS>
     </WorldInfo>
   </ProtoBody>
</ProtoDeclare>

Hope that is all sensible. The abstract spec does seem pretty well specified on this point.

At first the looseness of the ProtoBody top-level node list does appear unfamiliar to many authors, since we are stridently strict about scene-graph structure just about everywhere else.  We further remain strict within any of the individual nodes appearing in this list.

... OK back to the point at hand for the JSON encoding.  Can we put the first ProtoBody node at the top of the "-children" field, without loss of necessary information?

I'm now convinced that you are indeed correct.  It is the node name for the first ProtoBody node (e.g. "MetadataBoolean"), and not the containerField, that determines the node type of the ProtoDeclare being created (and corresponding ProtoInstance being instantiated in the scene graph).

So yes let's move that first node into the "-children" array in the JSON encoding.

Absent other considerations on this issue, I will work to implement and deploy this change in X3dToJson.xslt and the X3D Examples Archives.

Again thanks for sustained scrutiny... these certainly can get deep at times!  This is the kind of diligence that makes X3D scenes and X3D players reliable.

p.s. status update: yesterday's change fixing the "-value" key for JSON encoding of contained SFNode/MFNode content in field/fieldValue tags is complete, fully deployed, and ready for testing.