[x3d-public] Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) for JSON - W3C working draft

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Feb 10 09:07:33 PST 2016

On 2/9/2016 7:00 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Here’s flipper.json encoded.  I don’t see any XML.  strange!
>
> 80 40 01 56 0c d1 10 29 01 c1 c9 bd 99 a5 b1 94
> [...]

EXI for JSON produces EXI format, which is a binary encoding of XML.

>> On Feb 9, 2016, at 9:56 PM, Leonard Daly <Leonard.Daly at realism.com <mailto:Leonard.Daly at realism.com>> wrote:
>>
>> This is really cool. It's a whole other encoding for free!

Yes indeed cool.

There is a whole crop of JSON compression schemes out there, but none standardized.  NPS thesis student Bruce Hill did an excellent comparison of several with XML-based EXI for identical data structures.  Since EXI for JSON encoding is new, it will be interesting to also compare XML-based EXI with JSON-based EXI.  I'd expect the same results:  EXI meets or beats all other compression schemes, both for compaction and load-time performance.

>> I notice that there is no support for comments as traditionally defined. I know that the current X3D JSON encoding moves comments into a field. Is there any issue with that in this conversion? (I didn't see any, but I'm asking to make sure I haven't missed something.)

JSON does not include comments.

X3D for JSON encoding captures comments as JSON objects, which can be round-tripped to .x3d and other X3D encodings.

Since EXI for JSON can handle any JSON data structure, it can handle X3D comments encapsulated as JSON objects.