[x3d-public] X3D Security: what are our most important concerns for shaders? [corrected]

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Feb 12 09:53:00 PST 2016

[oops, corrected: reference numbers]

We have gradually been collecting security concerns, issues and potential vulnerabilities for X3D.

[1]	X3D Resources: Security
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Security

We have examples of .x3d XML scenes getting signed and encrypted using XML Security:

[2]	X3D Example Archives: Basic, Security
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Security
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Security/X3dSecurityReadMe.html

We were discussing security issues for X3D applicability to health records during the X3D JSON teleconference today.

I noticed that our Security section above didn't address shaders.  We should add some points and references.

Here are some:

[3]	web browser - Is WebGL a security concern? - Information Security Stack Exchange
	http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/13799/is-webgl-a-security-concern

[4]	hardware - Is OpenGL a security problem? - Information Security Stack Exchange
	http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/35634/is-opengl-a-security-problem

[5]	Michael Patterson, Vulnerability analysis of GPU computing, Masters Thesis, Iowa State, 2013.
	http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/etd/13115/

Wondering what other people think.  What shader-related security concerns need to be listed?