[x3d-public] Extrusions, take 3, Replacement with Cylinders, Cobweb needs to be updated in X3D Edit.

Yves Piguet yves.piguet at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 00:50:36 PST 2016

Useful, yes, but since it looks very much like a new kind of Transform, it might be more powerful to have a ConnectingTransform instead:

ConnectingTransform {
   end1 DEF-name1
   end2 DEF-name2
   children [...]
}

Then you can put other kinds of nodes in children, such as sensors, viewpoints, lights etc. With a PlaneSensor, for instance, you can move a shape between two other shapes.

I guess ConnectingShape or ConnectingTransform would usually stretch the geometry. But sometimes we just want to put something in the middle (e.g. a small Sphere which remains spherical between two shapes), or multiple shapes (small cones to show a direction, could probably be achieved with USE in children and appropriate translations). We could add an SFBoolean field "stretch" to control that.

Yves