[x3d-public] Non-Hand Coding of X3D

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Feb 24 16:55:49 PST 2016

There seems to be some confusion about my statements about not
hand-coding certain things.

I have stated that models and animations are not hand-coded anymore.
That statement does not mean it can't be done, but there are many tools
that do it, including open-source ones. There is no way someone is going
to hand-code models such as you can see at
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/index. Hand coding models to be printed
is also not a good idea because things will probably not line up correctly.

Animation is the same thing. Yes you can animate by hand-coding all of
the motions and deformations, but that is not how it is done. If X3D is
to get any acceptance into the professional marketplace it MUST work
with application generated models and animations. There will still be
some important animations that are hand coded (e.g., camera motions,
automated systems, etc.).

Nothing I have done in working out the V4 proposal precludes hand-coding
of animation or modeling. It does not provide a lot of convenience
features/nodes to make complex work simple. In the marketplace, it is
much simpler to get someone to do the model or animation in a tool.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant