[x3d-public] Non-Hand Coding of X3D (John Carlson)

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 14:08:04 PST 2016

> Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:16:28 -0500
> From: John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com>

> Anyway, I can probably use D3.js.  I was just thinking of an XML
> syntax?probably can use templates.
>
> It?s almost like a collection decorator.  You decorate your data with a
> scenegraph, instead of populating your scenegraph with data.
> ***********************

D3 can be seen just as a convenience library but I am intrigued by the way
it promotes really concise, data driven code in an almost declarative
style, which actually did lead to new applications for svg. So is there a
way to translate the idea of implicitly iterating over and operating on
node selections or joined selections into a XML syntax, or more specific
X3D functionality ?
XSLT should come close to providing similar functionality but requires a
preprocessing step and of course learning how to use it. So the answer may
be that implicit node or field generation based on data arrays is outside
the scope of x3d and that there are already good ways to do this.
Still, an intriguing question,
Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch