[x3d-public] "official" Web3D terms and glossary?

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Sat Feb 27 00:03:44 PST 2016

Hi all,

Somehow it happened I am a self-educated Web3D addict now.

Unfortunately this means I usually use some terms that might not be in line with "official" Web3D terminology.

Could I ask to get some hints? Maybe you know an "official" glossary somewhere out there.

1) Usually I use the term "Web3D Browser" to indicate it could be both. It could be a classical X3D player plugin or it could be a W3C browser rendering a page that uses X3DOM.

2) When accessing the "real" reality "through" a virtual reality (I'm not sure if this already exists out there), I would denominate this special kind of mixed reality as "remote senses and skills".

3) Once I saw the term "mirror worlds" in a presentation of a company. Could this be the same as I mean with "remote senses and skills"?

4) In multiuser worlds I denominate one instance of the scene as "scene instance" (this is what is identified by "sessionId" in BS Collaborate / BS Contact)

5) When accessing the "real" reality through a virtual reality, then imho we need some special scene instance that "connects" the multiuser session to the "real" reality. I would denominate this scene instance as "interface to reality" (ITR), having in mind the term RTI from another technology.

6) When accessing the "real" reality "through" a virtual reality, then we need sensors and actors. I would denomintae such sensors and actors as POI (point of interaction, point of interest).

Thanks for any help
Christoph