[x3d-public] Call to Progress on X3D V4

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 14 17:04:42 PST 2016

Hi Doug,

> If x3dom node definitions are not proprietary ...

Please have a look at the x3dom web pages. Most all of the nodes use
standard X3D definitions but there are a couple of new (favorite)
ones. I think the plan is to bring new ones in via V4. This is all
xhtml or xml or html but uses the X3D XML encoding. Of course this is
the way I like it to be because I can just use normal X3D XML encoding
pasted into the html to make the scene. Also, the same code would run
in a standalone tool, like BSContact and other vrml/X3D browsers. I
think the biggest break we are having is that the DOM is improving
through evolution so that it finally has the power to be compatible
with a really realtime event system.

So just go ahead and play with the X3D. It is easy to find a free one
that you can use with a simple text editor to compose the user code.
Or, use the html browser, like for x3dom or cobweb. I think you can be
sure that if you study X3D you will learn all the basics for the types
of data and events required to construct a running scene. Then you can
evaluate any other syntax of animated graphics you might find.

Best Wishes,
Joe