[x3d-public] Extrusions, take 3

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Jan 26 10:47:31 PST 2016

I would like to ask the question very differently. My question is not to
ignore the importance of getting the definition correct for X3D <= V3.3.

Most (>95%) 3D modeling is done with a tool. In non-CAD environment, the
tools is almost certainly Maya or Blender. Both of those tools have
extrusions built in to their interface. I imagine CAD tools are similar.
With so many tools providing graphical extrusion editors, and some of
the tools being open-source (at least Blender);

Do we need an extrusion node in V4 to support content developed for V4+?

Leonard Daly

On 1/26/2016 7:15 AM, Alekseyev, Vsevolod (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Hi X3D community,
>
> I've tried and failed twice to explain the problems with the
> definition of the Extrusion node. So here's a tl;dr version:
>
> Dear authors of the X3D standard, please take a careful look at the
> standard and answer me:
>
> 1) When the spine goes (0,0,0)-(0,-1,0), what is the CSP?
> Note: all answers but one will render one of the reference models in
> the Savage archive invalid.
>
> 2) When the spine goes (0,0,0)-(0,1,0)-(0,0,0), what is the CSP?
>
> 3) When the spine goes (0,0,0)-(1,1,0)-(1,1,0)-(1,1,0)-(2,0,0), what
> is the CSP for the three middle points?

*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant
X3D Co-Chair on Sabbatical