[x3d-public] Extrusions, take 3

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Tue Jan 26 15:58:29 PST 2016

On 1/26/2016 3:21 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Leonard, I think you forget that Extrusion splines etc. can be
> animated.  If Maya can export an Extrusion animation to X3D V4.0 and
> your new elements can handle animation of it, I think we are fine.

In Maya and Blender, extrusions are converted to IndexedFaceSets. These
can be animated through the usual mechanisms in those applications. The
results are typically stored in a FBX file. Unfortunately, the FBX
format is not open and not too conducive to importing in a browser.
Autodesk provides a C++ and Python API for accessing the file.

Extrusions are just a convenience node for creating a constrained
IndexedFaceSet. I am working on exactly how X3D fits in the process
chain from modeling tools to display. The goal is that X3D is an
declarative archivable format that has a browser-based run time. The
goal is to not reduce the display capability of X3D in that chain;
however, not all of the functionality of X3D V3.3 is necessary to remain
in the node definitions to make that happen.

Animation of the spline and cross-sections of an extrusion is much
easier for the developer, but puts a much greater load on the run-time
as it needs to re-triangulate the result on each animation.

Leonard Daly