[x3d-public] Understanding of IS connect for xml...issue for JSON encoding.

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 06:26:42 PDT 2016

Yes, you can IS to script fields and protoinstance fields in v3.3

-Doug

more..

Dynamic fields -per-instance like Script, or per type like ProtoInstance- are abstracted to look like normal fields during runtime. That means you can/should-be-able-to IS to them (and ROUTE to them) like they are normal fields. That includes builtin, Script and ProtoInstance fields. Except we know the names and types of builtin  fields a priori, and for dynamic fields we need to describe their types in the scene file. So ideally they are orthogonal / separate issues: declaring dynamic fields, and ISing / ROUTEing to any field dynamic or builtin.

more..

Gotchas:

- early vrml implementations didn't allow static fields ie Field or InputOutput, just events EventIn and EventOut. I think they are allowed in v3.3, or seem to work.