[x3d-public] What were some of the highlights from Web3D 2016. Any pointers at future directions to take?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Jul 31 09:13:05 PDT 2016

We had a really busy and productive set of Web3D and SIGGRAPH conferences, 7 days altogether.  Totally impressive!

We had 85 people attending the Web3D Conference - intense and wonderful.

Primary discussion topic next Wednesday on the X3D Working Group weekly teleconference is to list highlights and important conclusions together.

	http://www.web3d.org/calendar/month

	http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

We are also collecting updates to all presentation slides, photos/screenshots are welcome too.  Web3D Consortium is hoping to release that package in 2 weeks.

Biggest news is about our future Web3D Conferences.  For 21 years, we have alternated annually between North America (usually SIGGRAPH) and Europe.  That is about to change.  Successful bids now let us pursue a 3-year global cycle:

- Web3D Conference 2017 in Brisbane Australia at Queensland University of Technology
- Web3D Conference 2018 in Poznan Poland at Poznan University of Economics and Business
- Web3D Conference 2019 in USA, likely at SIGGRAPH Los Angeles California

Annual dates and calls for participation to follow.  It is quite clear that the Web3D conference series continues to produce major contributions that help us effectively build X3D and related technologies for the Web.

Biggest conference take-aways for me were the many positive and constructive comments everyone received regarding the ongoing evolution of X3D, together with active development of X3D version 4 for HTML5.  The special session on X3D Profile for CAD/3D Printing/3D Scanning was especially fruitful.

More to follow, additional insights are very welcome.  Have fun with X3D!  8)