[x3d-public] Fwd: Re: PROTO Usefulness Question -- support cobweb!

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 00:40:08 PDT 2016

Initial script support that runs after the proto expander is here:
https://github.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/blob/master/Script.js It's by no
means complete. PrototypeExpander.js is currently in development but passes
many tests in same repository.    There's a client and server side
component in the same file.  I am deprecating ServerPrototypeExpander.js.
PPP.js runs the server and client prototype expanders and produces JSON
output from input JSON.  runppp.sh is an example of running PPP.js against
several files (linux and mac shell script).

I think if a proto expander were to make proper use of id and class
attributes, it could be easily be integrated into an html5 environment w/o
scripts, and html5 scripts could be added to manipulate it.  We probably
need a standard for generating id and class from @DEF @name and @USE.

The client-side prototype expander may be run here:
http://coderextreme.net/X3DJSONLD/  Server-side (extern protos) is not
included at this time.

I do think we can leverage Cobweb's script support, but I haven't looked at
it yet, so I'm no expert.  If we had JSON and Cobweb together in the same
package it might be the best of breed.   JSON -> XML -> Cobweb already
works well for prototypes and scripts without the above code.  I am looking
forward to full integration when the X3D JSON standard arrives, so inlines
are handled better.

In other words, let's support cobweb even though it's the newcomer to the
block.  Then we don't even need a proto expander and we can focus on more
important areas, like finalizing full JSON support in all packages.

My thoughts.  My intention is for my code to disappear.  It's a proof of
concept.

John