[x3d-public] V4.0 Open discussion/workshop on X3D HTML integration

Yves Piguet yves.piguet at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 06:49:21 PDT 2016

Thanks to all those who've expressed their view.

I'm less sure about the need for a close integration between X3D and HTML5 at the DOM level. To me, 3D looks like it's at the same level as other multimedia such as video. The justification for MathML is much stronger, with the need to have inline math and style it with css the same way as surrounding text. Control of X3D from scripts in HTML pages, or pushing information from X3D to HTML, is useful but doesn't require DOM integration. I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't going to break compatibility with v3 in major ways.

Which user case would it address? Why would a new X3D v4 be accepted rather than "modern" 3D approaches if compatibility is broken and deemed useless anyway?

Thanks,

Yves