[x3d-public] [x3d] V4.0 Open discussion/workshop on X3D HTML integration

Roy Walmsley roy.walmsley at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 9 09:59:23 PDT 2016

I feel the need to comment on the issue of progress that is raised below.

X3D V4.0 essentially consists of two strands:

1)      Evolving V3.3 by the addition (and possible deletion) of components.

2)      Integration of X3D into HTML.

The evolutionary strand 1) referred to above is progressing. A lot has been
accomplished. Great. Keep up the good work.

In contrast the integration strand 2) has made no significant progress. This
is why I am pushing it now. As far as I can see we have had 'goals' and
'requirements' in terms of high level statements for some years. These have
not been translated into more detailed activities. I am not suggesting that
we start writing specifications today, but  I am suggesting actions as
follows:

a)      Clarify what form the V4.0 specifications are likely to exist in

b)      Clarify if any major change, such as dropping SAI, is likely

c)       Review existing X3D implementations (X3DOM and Cobweb) to
understand the implications for those specifications arising from a) and b)

d)      Review other 3D implementations to see what lessons can be learned

The meeting discussions have contributed significantly to a) and b). There
was general agreement that the existing ISO/IEC standards structure should
be maintained, with no major removal of features such as SAI. Despite
raising this subject on previous occasions, this is the first time that any
resolution of these questions has evolved, and been recorded (at least it
will be, when I have updated the wiki page from yesterday).

Does anyone have any ideas about the general structure of the
specifications? What should the major content be? I have not seen any
expressed, other than Leonards proposed changes to 19775-1, and my own
general thoughts on DOM extension. Inputs from anyone are always welcome.

We can now move on to actions c) and d). We had some excellent input
yesterday from Philipp with respect to XML3D for d). While considering c)
and d) we need to also look for practical candidate solutions to the other
issues that we are aware of, such as:

.         Fields - DOMStrings vs X3D Types

.         Event models

.         DEF/USE vs ID/IDREF

.         Capitalization

.         Namespace

.         Scripts and Prototypes

.         (any I have missed)

Of course, we don't just write specifications to concur with the
implementations. But if we find multiple candidate solutions to resolve a
particular issue, with no great differing technical merit, having a proven
implementation of one would be a significant factor.

I know that HTML/DOM are rapidly changing environments, and we have to be
careful about jumping in. It is another area we have to keep up with. But we
can't simply sit and watch. We need coordinated action. Someone has to
define a path forward, and encourage participation. And currently, as I see
it, a major proportion of that is study. But while studying, lets also
generate some practical output, ready for the next phase (actually writing
specifications) when we are ready.

Solutions to issues will be found. They may start as ideas contributed by
individuals. Brainstorming is an excellent activity. But they will  arise
more easily with greater understanding.

Keeping X3D alive and active is not only a technical activity but a
marketing one. With no technical activity, there can be no marketing. With
no marketing, there is less participation, and consequently even less
technical activity ..

The upcoming Web3D / Siggraph conference is a major marketing opportunity.
We have to supply technical inputs to support that.

And another aspect  I haven't touched on is priority. That is a business
decision. While sound decisions may be strongly influenced by external
factors, they also rely on sound technical inputs.

Roy