[x3d-public] [x3d]V4.0 Opendiscussion/workshoponX3DHTMLintegration

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 10 16:56:37 PDT 2016

>   The app will be installed in your browser,

basic x3d demoted to an app? I would believe in an X3D scene and
interaction coded and run as an app, but not basic X3D as an app.

> I think that “Downloading a big set of scripts” is the wave of the
> future.

then the future sucks. Already the web is being ruined by every
friggin' page downloading tons of crutch js to provide some
convenience abstraction(s) of the DOM. Nothing more fun than putting
those script calls in the head, or tail and like the author having to
choose between platforms depending upon which js shim is in use with
that browser, or having several javascript developers competing for
your choice.

At some point in the past we thought that by defining levels and
components that an X3D browser could just download extensions and thus
keep the basic download for the plugin smaller. This did not work.

>  Uh, what else?

Well, to take a real hard look at what we want to provide as a native
implementation. Sure there is lots of new stuff, like what you are
working on, and if we do it right then the interfaces are all there.

So, I think we should really consider how x3d syntax and user code
structures can change to really fit in with html, DOM, and CSS with
the idea that we are aiming at browser support by native code, not
addons. We have seen that it is very possible to create something
worthwhile with just some simple syntax details and javascript. The
html browsers have really stepped up with much better support of
'standard' javascript and DOM and other xml technologies so to me
there is no reason not to aim for an <x3d> ... </x3d> environment
where we don't need to depend on a couple of different js and other
shotcut schemes to get it to go big time.

All Best,
Joe