[x3d-public] ] V4.0 Opendiscussion/workshopon X3DHTML integration

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 12 15:59:11 PDT 2016

Hi, Philipp,

> https://xml3d.github.io/xml3d-examples/examples/xflowSkin/xflow-skin.html
> for
> simple skinned and animated characters

I don't see it. There are things jumping around, but from code think
not skeletons with skin but just geometries dragged from frame to
frame. Maybe the code is in the protos? Looks like it could be
generated by something that used skeletal animation but just exported
geometry for some keyframes. Anyway, I can't find the desired
interfaces, like how is the skeleton composed, how is the skin bound,
how do I control the animations, do my personal animations stand a
chance of working in those rigs? All the questions I consider basic
are not there or very far down in the reading. So show me the code for
a skeleton, please,

>From the spec, It is important that the skeleton be well defined in
terms of names, locations, and interfaces. To me, the great thing
about the x3d representation is clarity about the naming and location
of features, and even an initial pose so that animations can be easily
transported between characters.

> Hanim has
> selected one specific way of describing and handling animation and
> skinning, which requires a node-specific implementation.

Right, hanim documented the best practices for handling skeleton, and
animation, and skinning, I mean for years x3d does it the same way
because these are the parameters for the way that everybody does it.

So, it started long ago with the idea that researchers needed a
standardized skeleton that would serve for producing a computable
replacement for a mechanical armature in humanoid simulations. With
medical and robotic folks also involved, they decided to pick a
realistic representation that was widely accepted. The hanim and X3D
standards use as the example a 'standard' humanoid with 'typical'
dimensions in a realistic humanoid hierarchy, This was easy for VRML
and X3D with a Humanoid container holding skeleton and skin and some
other stuffs.

Skeleton is realistic hierarchy of Joints, Segments, and Sites.
Defining the default initial pose was not easy but finally, the choice
was probably an artifact of the method used to obtain the greatast
share of samples to define typical joint and surface feature
locations. Anyway, some of the names have changed (segment instead of
bone) and some under the covers stuffs exposed, but basically x3d
hanim is indusry-standard best practices for complete documentation of
a realtime animated character.

Later this has evolved for skeleton structures to serve as the basic
model for motion capture data and as the corresponding structure for
the mocap playback model.

I mean, this hanim has been the world standard for transportablity of
basic structures and basic functionality. Wouldn't you expect to get
something that represents the core factors for what most all realtime
character animation tools would give you when you start with any
default (fantasitc that there are now so many) humanoid or biped or
something of that category? Of course, and that is true. See X3D HAnim
LOA2. Some names are changed, but that is the generic skeleton.

The names may be changed or some hidden interfaces exposed, but if you
look close you will see that x3d hanim does indeed represent complete
documentation required to build and animate the character. That can be
important when you wish to carry your work from one commercial or open
product to another. I mean you used to have to beg for binding and
animation curves. At some authoring levels sometimes you can't even
see that stuff.

Whatever the authoring system internal data forms, if they rig skin,
then there may or may not be a human readable and kestroke editable
listing of the skin vertex bindings and weights. X3D just says that
this very basic stuff has to be in the flie in a logical place and
reasonable form. Any authoring system worthy of your trust should be
able to give you that list just in case you wanted to work with
another tool and use your old rigging. Why is it so carefully defined
in x3d hanim? Because that is the best way to preserve that type of
data since basically, everybody has to do it that way down at the
metal, to move the points ro positions that depend upon what time
appears in the next frame.

That's just way it is. The basic data in close to executable form
readable and editable is what x3d hanim requires. Since it is so
basic, data should be able to be exchanged between most any set of
authoring tools and it is. Of course there might be some new
technique(s) because the things advance, but those techniques either
remain proprietary of have not yet made it into the public open source
community so would ot appear in X3D.

No outright challenge here but look at what you get when you start
with the default humanoid in any authoring system. Some might hook up
the joints slightly differently with other names or use some other
space than 'standard' hanim humanoid space but the basic goal is
realism, Hey, I think best results when everything is drawn in
'standard' human space, dimensioned for your preferences. Like the
hanim end-effector surface features are there because experimeters
wanted to be able to define an actual location in human space relative
to the skeleton. That was where the virtual doctor could touch the
virtual surgical tool. Anyway, by the time the standard was set, it
was pretty much decided that real machines would use quats to anmate
but X3D stayed with axis-angle as the minimum requirement for
transporting realtime animations (realtime always needs interpolators
and all inbetweens, so sorry euler angles).

A Transform extended to a Joint adds some technical features and the
hierarchal structure of Joint, connecting Segment, and Site(s) for
surface and internal features are all standard vrml/x3d. Using the
names Humanoid. Joint, Segment, and Site as names for the major
functionalities of the basic humanoid with geometries bound to
segments is accomplished by extending Transform using simple
prototypes. To do the skin needs some pretty standard gem script to
move the skin points as the skeleton is animated .

I mean that all the information about mesh and binding and what is
supposed to happen when it is supposed to happen is very nicely
composed. Of course x3d hanim is always interested in new names and
locations and styles or techniques that are missing from anywhere in
x3d, but basically it is all there. This reflects the data that is
actually used to create the character and realtime animations in
human-readable form. And it matches up with detailed vizualization
technolofies like medical and cad and physics and is completely
collada friendly.

As I said, the example I am interested in exploring is relatively
simple and from what I have seen (with conversion from axis-angle to
unitquats) can probably be represented lossless in glTF.

> But this generic data design also allows for creating these
> abstractions that would be much harder (if not impossible) to do
> with
> the specialized approach that X3D is based on.

X3D is a generic data design because it defines generic forms of data
needed to make and animate a common character. The data is indeed
generic and no character animation that can produce animated
characters is missing any of this data. Absent proprietary technology
they all use a skeleton and they all have geometry bound to connecting
things, and they all use the same skin bindings.

What is specialized? The names and hierarchy? Well the names are
probably specialized but the hierarchy and bindings are not. If i read
the above right, then _if_ the generic data design has hard times with
the x3d approach of containing the data then the generic data design
has big problems. I don't think that is what you said, but what part
of the x3d data design is harder? Overall, the hanim is a very generic
data design using very generic 3D hierarchies. Hanim is not at all an
unusual or non-generic scenegraph structure or data structure so I
don't understand the problem.

Besides, please look at some browsers that do a great job with x3d
hanim. There were several more before they went missing.

http://www.hypermultimedia.com/x3d/hanim/JoeH-AnimKick1a.txt

is the text version of the example I am most interested in, in classic
encoding because I thinki is easier to read. Don't use word wrap.

In reality, I don't care how the data is stored for runtime execution,
I care about the readability of the documentation created at
authortime. Sure, X3D HAnim may take a while to learn to read because
the structure is complicated, but all time is not wasted because these
are types of data common to most all efforts of humanoid animation.

One piece of automation also used in character animation is precise,
time-driven animation of parts of a geometry, like when a piece of
skin to move independently of any joint rotations, In HAnim this is
done by Displacer, You tell it which points to move and how much to
move them then send it a weight, This is an important little tool.
Again, the data and technique just represents a common way to do it.
How would your project define such as operation?

Thanks and Best,
Joe