[x3d-public] V4.0 Open discussion/workshop on X3D HTML integration

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 01:06:07 PDT 2016

On Jun 14, 2016 12:32 PM, "Don Brutzman" <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> Here is the premise:
> - X3DOM is written in JavaScript and can read X3D nodes.
> - Prototype Expander is is written in JavaScript and can write X3D nodes.
> - Prototype Expander could be a preprocessor for X3DOM scene loader.

Yes that is how it works.  It's also planned to preprocess Script nodes
after protos.

I'm pretty much down to aligning new defs and routes and making sure hanim
protos work, if people think we can do namespaces through string
concatenation.  Then it's on to scripts.

However, we still need support in html x3dom if it encounters a file with
JSON encoding...similarly with wrl encoding.  This is one reason cobweb is
a better solution...support for wrl, scripts, protos...

I think the only thing x3dom does better is dom integration and full
javascript and it works in older browers.  And probably better node support
in the short term.

I'm off trying to expand my user base by working with clement.  I am
working on a mixed javascript X3DOM loader combined with a tile loader for
JSON tiles.  You may be interested in our results at some point Andreas,
one thing we seem to do well is reference a texture image and 3D buildings
in a variety of formats for given tile.  I was able to enable JSON
tile/scene inlining fairly straightforwardly.