[x3d-public] V4.0 Open discussion/workshop on X3D HTML integration

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jun 16 21:22:22 PDT 2016

On 6/15/2016 5:44 PM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
>[...]

all good...

> Not sure of thinking about Protos as something to be expanded is quite correct. It well may be. Would expansion not be akin to a macro or template ?

Yes, we have conceptualized it as akin to macro expansion.  Which is OK as far as it goes... but X3D Specification also allows nested prototype instancing and even nested prototype declarations.  Furthermore, authors might well pursue dynamic modifications at run time.

So X3D is definitely Extensible, and achieving that is one of the most challenging features for any programming language.

> javascript for web pages has plenty of templating solutions involving preprocessing.

Yes javascript certainly does have a rich (and growing) set of design patterns that might inform and be applied as we continue to enrich the X3DOM and Cobweb implementations.