[x3d-public] Preprint of new WebComponent based approach to X3D and XML3D

Philipp Slusallek philipp.slusallek at dfki.de
Thu Jun 16 22:12:51 PDT 2016

[Resent, as the original email was apparently not relayed through the list]

Hi,

Here is the preprint of the paper I mentioned in my earlier emails:
   https://cloud.dfki.de/owncloud/index.php/s/CRQ9qhpQq2YSX6X

Note, this is not meant as the final solution but more as a proof of
concept and a first study of what can be done with modern Web technology
for declarative 3D.

What is exciting, though, is that we can already load an unmodified
X3DOM scene and convert it to our WebComponents representation and its
gets rendered interactively.

We do not support routes or scripts, yet. But we can mix and match X3D
and XML3D as we like, which is interesting and goes back to a discussion
we had with the X3DOM group quite some time ago about the idea we had
that a powerful enough core should be able to actually support both
front ends. It now can!

Of course, a lot is still missing and there are many design choices that
would need to be made. We would be happy to have a discussion about how
to proceed with this approach. Maybe even others would be interested in
helping to implement more of X3D nodes and determine the right choices
for doing so?

*Constructive* comments are very welcome.

Best,

	Philipp

Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz (DFKI) GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschäftsführung:
  Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
  Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes

VAT/USt-Id.Nr.: DE 148 646 973, Steuernummer:  19/673/0060/3