[x3d-public] ] V4.0 Opendiscussion/workshopon X3DHTMLintegration

Philipp Slusallek philipp.slusallek at dfki.de
Thu Jun 16 22:13:47 PDT 2016

[Resent, as the original email was apparently not relayed through the list]

Hi Joe,

I would appreciate if you would not assume the worst from others. No, we
are NOT cheating and all the data is actually there right in front of
you for you to see and check, even without my help. The paper (which I
did link multiple times in my emails) would have told you how to
interpret the data, which is all in the main HTML5/XML3D web page or
files that are linked from it. Just follow the URLs. It just looks a bit
different than you are used to.

So, for your convenience here are all the bits and pieces:

-- The data is actually exported in json format from the game. XML3D can
directly import JSON and make this data available as generic <data>
elements for Xflow. BTW, we also have format handlers for a number of
other geometry formats that you can directly refer to simply with a URL.
The result is not a mesh but simply a <data> element.

You see this json import at the very end of the XML3D file for the heavy
character
(https://github.com/xml3d/xml3d-examples/blob/master/examples/xflowSkin/asset/heavy.xml).

-- If you look at the json file (large,
https://github.com/xml3d/xml3d-examples/blob/master/examples/xflowSkin/asset/heavy.json)
you see all the raw data , here in string format. If you look into it
you find all the index buffers for the different parts of the body,
positions, normals, texcoords, the bone indices and weights (which bones
influence each vertex and with what weight), bone parents (describe the
bone hierarchy used for flattening), and bindTranslation and
bindRotation (which define the bind pose). After that you find the
different animations again specified as separate translation and
rotation applied to the bones (defined above). The latter are arrays of
arrays indexed by the "key" value, which is the time index for the
respective animation keyframe. We could have several of those animation
elements here for many different animation to select from.

-- Back in the heavy.xml file we do a few tricks to better handle the
data: You see the 'filter="keep({translation: XX_translation, ...}"'
part. This simply creates a new data element with selected and renamed
entries. No data duplication is happening here, its just references and
so very efficient. We do this so that the generic Xflow scripts are
referencing the right data (by name). The same for the index elements
and the main data element for the character ("meshbase"). We also define
the materials here. All the data exists exactly once.

-- In the main html file
(https://github.com/xml3d/xml3d-examples/blob/master/examples/xflowSkin/xflow-skin.html/)
we then simply import the data while applying the skinning operator
(discussed in a previous email) and then instantiate the different body
parts with their materials. Again, we could further put this into an
XML3D Asset (see spec I referenced in an earlier email), if you want to
use the characters in an even simpler way as an entire asset with a
single line. Note, that even in this case you still have full control
over the animation and other aspects of the character within an asset.

So you see: No tricks here, all good skeletal animation with skinning as
exported directly from the game character. Or "Level1" as you call it.

And yes all of this is directly animatable from standard HTML5 (JS
scripts, events, CSS attributes, even from well-known CSS transitions,
etc.). It just all works as an extension to HTML5. Just a bit
differently organized as "required" by Hanim. But we can use it just the
same way.

-- The whole animation is controlled by setting the "key" value in the
character in the main file ("heavySkinned"). Again I explained in my
previous email.

-- And again, this might not be the alternative to the Hanim format, and
it does not try to be. Its just the way skeletal animation is specified
in the game the character comes from. The point is we can simply use the
data "as is" without having to convert it to some "standard" format.

-- But in just the same way we can create a Xflow graph that uses the
data from an Hanim character spec. This what I call "generic data
handling and processing". Again, most of the processing can be mapped to
the GPU without anyone having to write any specific code for skinning or
so. All without any "native" code to write. Its handled in Xflow where
possible and needed. We are further improving the automatic GPU mapping
to be even more flexible, as we speak.

-- BTW, Besides the string format (in the json file), we also offer the
BLAST format for very efficient binary data streaming. It is essentially
a json header with intelligently arranged binary blobs, organized for
streaming. You find the paper here:
https://graphics.cg.uni-saarland.de/2014/blast-a-binary-large-structured-transmission-format-for-the-web/

Best,

	Philipp