[x3d-public] Minutes of the X3D WG Meeting 1st June 2016 > MIME-type (corrected)

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jun 17 14:17:21 PDT 2016

Thanks Doug, good ideas, in some cases all taken care of:

http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_MIME-Type#15._Other_Information.2FGeneral_Comment
x3d-vrml files are encoded using utf-8.

The X3D standard is a continuation of the VRML standard that is defined in RFC2077. As part of this work, several large modifications were made to the file format and specification. The basic premise for the specification continues the VRML design rationale. The MIME types and file extensions were changed to indicate this modified standard.

      Content Sub-types

Each content type may have an additional Content-Encoding to indicate whether the content has been compressed using GZIP in addition to the basic textual encoding. This is also indicated by modifying each file extension with the character "z". For example, the plain text VRML-encoded file format would use the extension ".x3dv", and if compressed using GZIP uses the extension ".x3dvz".

and

X3D Scene Authoring Hints: Encodings
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dSceneAuthoringHints.html#Encodings
*    X3D MIME Media Types are approved two-part identifiers for X3D file formats on the Internet: x3d+xml, x3d-vrml and x3d+fastinfoset.
*    Name identifiers (DEF/USE and Prototype names), sometimes referred to as fragment identifiers, must only use UTF-8 characters.
*    Note that a variety of character encodings are possible for the XML-based .x3d encoding (reference 19776-1 paragraph 4.4.1), while only the utf8 character encoding is allowed for the ClassicVRML .x3dv encoding.
*    The Unicode FAQ UTF-8, UTF-16, UTF-32 & BOM contains further information.

I suppose HelloWorld.x3d.zip might work unaltered when served, but since the .zip extension implies that a directory archive might be there (rather than a single file), we would need to do a little more specification additions to handle it.