[x3d-public] Errors in Geometry2dComponentPrototypes.wrl at web3d.org

Bederov, Sergey bederov at cortona3d.com
Tue Jun 28 10:47:46 PDT 2016

Hello all,

Recently I have seen a VRML file converted from X3D by some converter. The file is using some non-standard VRML nodes and has EXTERNPROTO definitions pointing to:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/development/Geometry2dComponentPrototypes.wrl

I want to say that there are errors in that file:

Line 45:
          metadata IS metadata

This field is contained in a "Group" node, but in VRML this node doesn't have a "metadata" field. Here, this link can safely be removed because this field is not used anywhere.

Line 497:
          field        MFVec2f         points IS points

The "points" field is not declared in the PROTO declaration, but the "point" field is declared instead. Replacing "points" to "point" seems to make it work.

To whom it may concern, please fix these errors. Currently, that file is an invalid VRML file, and a well-behaving VRML browser doesn't load it and therefore can't use the PROTO declarations contained therein, even if they don't have errors.

Thank you,
Sergey Bederov