[x3d-public] X3DOM as a standard...why?

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 30 22:15:16 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Carlson" <yottzumm at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 5:31 AM
Subject: [x3d-public] X3DOM as a standard...why?

> Have many performance tests been ran against x3dom compared to
> webgl?

Two totally different environments. What do you wish to compare?
XD3DOM uses WebGL but what application or test would you use to
compare performance?

> Can
> we eek out more performance by implementing more in shaders like
> webgl
> does?

X3D and X3DOM can use shaders. It is a choice of the author whether to
use the 'standard' (legacy) ways to specify parts of the scene of to
use shaders.

> Is XML3D the best of both worlds?

What worlds are you thinking off? XML3D can use shaders but has no
built-in structures to specify scene elements. So, XML3D is not
directly comparable with X3DOM at this time, I think. I will keep
suggesting that XML3D implement a player that accepts X3D/X3DOM syntax
so a comparison could be made using the same example and same user
code. Would that be a good basis for evaluation? Currently I am
getting back to looking at an XML3D example that shows some hanim
features. If I can figure it out then the XML3D example character and
animation can be cast in X3D HAnim form and maybe we can see
something.

> Can we do even better?

Yes, but it depends upon what you are evaluating. I haven't seen any
examples that show the same stuff working for XML3D and X3DOM. I don't
think we can discuss X3D, X3DOM, XML3D, and WebGL up against each
other unless we have some examples that have some common features and
operate as expected for X3D.

Thanks and Best,
Joe