[x3d-public] three.js / editor

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Mar 4 07:46:09 PST 2016

I think the likely challenge for someone is to write some Javascript code capable of:

a. opening an X3D scene graph using your JSON loader, and then
b. mapping elements in that X3D scene graph into a threejs scenegraph

It is interesting to load any of the 4 examples provided on the threejs menu bar, then look at the Scene and Object/Geometry/Material tabs on the right.  (These are shown in the screenshot provided earlier, and immediately visible if you go to the editor page.)

	http://threejs.org/editor

In every case they look like they have the same constructs as X3D: transform objects, plus a shape consisting of geometry nodes and material.

threejs Camera parameters look pretty close to X3D Viewpoint fields as well.

If the editor is also able to load gltf json as you suspect, useful code patterns for import/export may already exist in there.  There are menu items for OBJ and STL, and they are not so different from X3D either.

So, it looks like importing X3D shapes is probably not a heavy lift for whoever wants to try it.  Perhaps animation interpolators will also be simple.  Likely there are people on both mailing lists with knowledge, and Mr. Doob always has great insights too.  Seems like an opportunity for someone...