[x3d-public] CSS st5yle usage for Routes [was: id attribute proposal]

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Sun Mar 20 18:25:15 PDT 2016

Additional thoughts - these came as I pressed SEND so it's a separate
message.

In HTML/DOM, events are used to mostly handle extraordinary conditions.
It is not a very efficient mechanism to do something every display
frame. If the event is a trigger for something else to happen (like a
light switch), then it is no big deal. If it is to run animation, then
something like my proposed Animate node might be better. This node
handles the changes every frame and directly updates the destination
from the TimeSensor to the Interpolator. See
http://tools.realism.com/specification/x3d-v40/changes-additions-x3d-v33/animate
for an initial description.

Leonard Daly

> Thanks for commenting Leonard, I thought it was going to be left behind in the id/class discussion
>
>> On Mar 20, 2016, at 8:32 PM, Leonard Daly <web3d at realism.com> wrote:
>>
>> could refer to all viewpoint nodes in the main scene. An X3D ROUTE that identified that string as the destination would change all viewpoints. While this is not hard to do (for example jQuery does this), it can cause considerable overhead if you have to check the entire scene graph for matching nodes on every animation step.
>>
> Only check the scene graph when the members of the selection change.
>
>> My initial thought is to not go down this route; however, that just may be my concern on run-time performance and not being creative enough to see all of the good possibilities.
> Agreed.  Let’s wait for a good use case. Necessity is the mother of invention.  We can write a route expander in the meantime.

*Leonard Daly*
X3D Co-Chair
Cloud Consultant