[x3d-public] id attribute proposal

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:53:44 PDT 2016

a.

It may work to just declare in the spec. that the DEF value becomes the
value of the id attribute when the node is interpreted as a DOM element.
This way it may not be required to add an explicit id field to each node.
However, it does seem narrow minded if simply adding an id attribute
invalidates a x3d file.

b.

The default value for an explicit id field if deemed required could be the
value of the DEF of the node.

c.

x3dom has both id and DEF attributes.
If both id and DEF are set both attributes will have different values.
If only DEF is given id is unset.
If only id is given DEF and id will be set.
http://examples.x3dom.org/example/x3dom_defUse.xhtml

In addition, to allow working with valid x3d files, x3dom has an attribute
for inline nodes MapDEFtoID which generates the ID value from the DEF value.

d.

Cobweb does not use the DOM for x3d.

id is important for DOM compatibility and needs to be addressed in some way
if x3d nodes are to be integrated in the DOM. If not, there needs to be
clarification as well that x3d is not intended to be compatible with DOM
use which would be a missed opportunity in my view.

Before we think about class we need to deal with id I think.
Obvious questions:

a. can DEF/USE simply be utilized instead?  First law of engineering: "if
it isn't broken, don't fix it."

b. if DEF/USE cannot or ought not to be utilized, then how is is backwards
compatibility handled?  This includes Inline content loaded into a parent
scene.

c. what does X3DOM currently do?

d. what does Cobweb currently do?