[x3d-public] QA/Validation on uniform/attribute shader variables. [ was: Re: Non-portability of X3D Shaders]

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 19:11:03 PDT 2016

This is a problem with X3D vendors use of at least uniform matrix names in GLSL shaders.

My use of the X3D JSON Loader (most of the bugs introduced, and crashes in the browser) and X3D in general is held up by differences in the X3D Shader variable names (not what they represent) from different vendors. Can we get some support from the Web3D (and/or possibly Khronos) consortium on standardizing uniform names (some non-portable matrices commonly supported by vendors, not authors) in (at least) GLSL shaders?   Validation of Shaders (warning for non-portable variables) would be useful. Thanks!

Do most people do preprocessing, or stick with one vendor?  Not use GLSL?  I think my other alternative on Mac is Metal, which is way too platform specific.

Thanks,

John