[x3d-public] Virtual Reality Rock

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Mon May 2 16:07:24 PDT 2016

Thanks Joe.

I've done several all on my Youtube site. Using the X3D to wrap and
illustrate songs is better in the X3D than in video.  So much can be
done and I only scratched the surface in combining a free roamer with
song sequences.

At the high end with WebGL and too the metal programming, it is claimed this
is new.  Like the claims made about storytelling and VR being new,
that is nonsense but over the years I've gotten used to the way they
market themselves
and they are welcome to make their claims to sell their wares.  I am more
interested in the power of the intermediate to high level power of
X3D/VRML to fulfill its promise as an HTML for VR which I think it
does.   For working
composers who cannot dedicate the time to becoming expert-level programmers,
and WHO MUST HAVE THE CLEAN IP that X3D provides, having to use a
plugin simply is not that big a deal.

These are not MMOs.   They are a way to experience and illustrate the
music.  That can be a collection or an album or a concept world among
other things.
Too often people short the VR potential by building rooms with hanging movie
texture videos.  That is just one way to express it.  Combining it
with avatars
that tell stories, discovery of rooms inside the worlds (for example,
in the Cusco world anyone that manages to get into the pyramid gets a
little show), all are possible.   We haven't gone far enough.

But most critically, we haven't taught musicians and composers how to
do it. Not everyone is going to get multiple degrees in music, art,
engineering, comp-sci and so on, just to make videos.   Nor should
they have to.

But good VR Rock Albums can sell a new generation of HMDs in homes where some
family members don't play games.   There are so many  genre that can be hosted
and made available through the headsets.   We haven't gone far enough.

len