[x3d-public] Oracle America, Inc. v. Google, Inc. and open-source licensing for Web3D

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue May 17 15:39:43 PDT 2016

Curiously the heart of the infringement contest by Oracle against Google seems to be that, independent of open-source code aside, the APIs can be patented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_America,_Inc._v._Google,_Inc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/business/alphabet-chairman-testifies-in-oracle-suit-against-google.html

As discussed on the H-Anim telcon today: as we soon begin to autogenerate updated versions of each X3D language binding, plus standalone open-source APIs with fairly thorough implementations, we need to make sure that everything is undeniably under an open-source license.

Current license information for X3D example scenes (BSD-style, non viral with any use allowed):

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#license

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/license.txt
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/license.html