[x3d-public] V3.4 > specs > 4.4.4 Prototype Semantics > multiple protos of same name > proposed change

doug sanden highaspirations at hotmail.com
Mon May 30 11:55:08 PDT 2016

For version 3.4 I propose the following v3.3

http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/concepts.html#PrototypeSemantics
| 4.4.4 Prototype semantics
| 4.4.4.1 Introduction
| Node type names shall be unique in each X3D file. The results are
| undefined if a prototype is given the same name as a built-in node
| type or a previously defined prototype in the same scope.

be changed "X3D file" and "scope" to "executionContext"

| 4.4.4 Prototype semantics
| 4.4.4.1 Introduction
| Node type names shall be unique in each executionContext. The results are
| undefined if a prototype is given the same name as a built-in node
| type or a previously defined prototype in the same executionContext.

-Doug
more..

It appears for these browsers the specs could be changed from "X3D file" and "scope" to "executionContext"
- cortona
- vivaty
- instantReality
- Octaga
- freewrl
- cobweb
, view3dscene

They all render
 http://dug9.users.sourceforge.net/web3d/tests/protos/ProtoOrder.wrl
 http://dug9.users.sourceforge.net/web3d/tests/protos/ProtoOrder.x3d
cobweb  http://dug9.users.sourceforge.net/web3d/tests/protos/ProtoOrder.html
the same way except:
- when a duplicate protoDeclare name is in the same executionContext, vivaty and cortona choose the first one
- the rest choose the last one before the instance

x H3DViewer shows all boxes - taking the first proto of a given name in the file scope as per specs.
x X3D edit Schematron validator complains about protoOrder.x3d:
<ProtoDeclare name="Geom"/> has multiple ProtoDeclare definitions with same name [/X3D/Scene/ProtoDeclare[2]/ProtoBody/ProtoDeclare, error]
- but x3dedit continues normally in all other steps