[x3d-public] ] V4.0 Opendiscussion/workshopon X3DHTMLintegration

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 13:29:18 PDT 2016

Hi Philipp, just getting back to this, my main topic is to compare the
data structures you are using with those in X3D HAnim. I was looking
at the example robots and wondering exactly how you were doing it.
Since I was thinking about basic skeletal animation, i wondered how
you were storing skeleton structure,skin geometry, skeleton to skin
bindings, keys and key values, texture coordinates, and metadata about
the structure parts, etc. Then, unfortunately, to see that part of the
user code, I could not get there.

So I wanted (1) to understand relative data structures for xflow and
X3D HAnim for this application;
(2) with my current favorite X3D HAnim skeletal animation example
tester, start transcoding this from X3D to xflow; (3) see this example
running in xflow encoding.

If this is the same data in different structures with different names,
then the transformation might be real simple style sheet transform.
That would be a great asset.

If the data is different then maybe those animations are using a
different method than the X3D 'standard' form of realtime skeletal
animation. If so, then I would like to see your animation style
running in X3D. I am pretty sure that no matter what style is being
used there is a data type and animation method for it in X3D.

So, I hope to renew this conversation by looking to the next depth of
your user code for this important animation method.

Please have a look at the attached. This represents plain old
hierarchal skeleton with a structure of Joints and a simple continious
mesh skin with a simple texture mapping. The skin is deformed to
follow skeleton animations. Each vertex is bound to one or more
skeleton components (Joints) along with a weight value. Each skin
vertex is displaced according to sum of weighted rotation of the bound
Joint(s).
[For this model, the concept and the data of bone or segment
orientation, and of joint rotation, are considered to be equivalent
ways to express the desired animation result. Just that X3D HAnim puts
the binding on Joint(s).]

Anyway, I hope you and all are doing well, I'm just looking for
comparing stuff as it relates to realtime realistic interactive
interfaces. I think the X3D HAnim structure we have now, is a very
competent baseline for this style of skeletal animation and general
mesh animation, no matter what the pieces are named.

In all of this everything is important and the animations are the
stuff that needs saving and leveraging the most, so that is what HAnim
is aimed at: a 'standard' skeleton, a 'standard' skin, and 'standard"
animations. The term 'standard' means different things in each
context, A 'standard' skeleton has a known target Joint hierarchy. The
'standard' skin has a known number of points with known skeleton
bindings. The 'standard' animations have known interfaces with the
model.

Thanks Again and Best Regards,
Joe