[x3d-public] event tracing

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 06:32:49 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> Tres cool, thank you for this information Andreas.
>
> Trace performance of your teapot widgets is absolutely tremendous, even
> while printing trace values on the screen (historically a bog on
> performance).  No discernible change in perceived responsiveness,
> with/without firebug tracing, even when i interactively try to provoke
> sluggishness (running good old Windows 7 firefox).

I slightly updated the event logging to use performance.now rather than
event.timeStamp which is consistent across browsers and to also report the
difference between the x3d timestamp and the time of logging which should
happen just after dispatching of the DOM event and before drawing to the
webgl canvas. The x3d timestamp is created at the beginning of processing
of x3d events for each cascade, I believe. This difference varies
considerably, about between 2 ms and 20 ms, even for repeats of the same
events. Chrome shows a little less difference on average. So I am not sure
how accurate these timings are in relation to when things really happen and
what external factors influence these.

https://andreasplesch.github.io/cobweb_dom/tests/interactiveTransformations.xhtml

-Andreas