[x3d-public] X3Dng Specification Document

Yves Piguet yves.piguet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 08:07:28 PDT 2016

Thanks, Leonard. What I'm afraid of is that the DOM and the "classic" environments will diverge, or more likely the classic environment will be left behind. I'm not sure to understand the need for X3D-inspired declarative 3D merged in HTML5, à la SVG, considering such a compatibility break with X3D v3 and VRML (prototypes, events, scripts).

An alternative would be to have a basic descriptive-only profile for X3D, without proto/events/scripts, which could also be used by 3D authoring applications as an exchange format; and to move the HTML5 integration to a separate standard, like encodings in v3. Maybe you'll think it doesn't make any difference with your X3Dng specification, but one wouldn't get the feeling that if X3Dng/DOM is the future, then it means X3D with v3-like proto/events/scripts is the past. X3D would get a broader scope, not follow a narrow time line where features are discarded.

Yves