[x3d-public] X3Dng Specification Document

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 6 02:11:16 PST 2016

http://tools.realism.com/specification/x3d-next-generation/abstract-specification/changes-additions-x3d-v33/skeletaljoint

"Motion of each joint changes the position of mesh verticies (see
JointAnimation). This is controlled by the fields vertexWeights and
verticies. The verticies field lists the verticies from the mesh (in
JointAnimation) that this joint can change. ..."

Hi Leonard,
In this part of the text for SkeletalJoint will you please fully
define the contents of the 'verticies' list?
Basically, how do I identify the points (coordinates) of the mesh to
be affected by the 'vertexWeights' field.

In this, please note that the HAnim Joint node uses the terms
skinCoordIndex and skinCoordWeight for this purpose.

That is reasonable naming for that node because it is aiming at mesh
in the Humanoid 'skin' field but maybe you don't wish to introduce the
idea of skin here, mesh is fine for this.

However, the term 'coordIndex' would better describe the field that
identifies the mesh point(s) controlled by this SkeletalJoint node.

Also, the term 'coordWeight' would be better because there is only one
weight for each point controlled by this node.

It really is rare to attempt to use plurals ('vertices' and
'vertexWeights') for field names even if more than one, especially if
there could be just one item in the list.
Example is interpolator 'key' and 'keyValue' where even though there
are always more than one we don't use the plural form.

Thank You,
Joe