[x3d-public] dual use of script tag in HTML environment

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 11:40:18 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Yves Piguet <yves.piguet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry if this has already been discussed. Couldn't you define a
> namespace-like prefix for all elements, such as "x3d:"? Maybe optional for
> elements which don't cause a compatibility problem with element tag names
> already defined for other purposes.

Yes, that would be a solution and html5 custom elements need to have such
prefix with a minus instead of a colon. But since script is the only
element which is affected, there is a desire to avoid that in order to stay
x3d spec. conforming.

I do think a reasonable suggestion is to rename the x3d script node to
"X3DScript" or "x3d-Script" or "Program" since it supports other languages
as well. However, if this renaming becomes the standard all existing x3d
scenes become non-conforming which may be considered harmful although they
would still be conforming to the older version of spec.

> In HTML5, namespaces don't exist (see e.g. <https://dev.w3.org/html5/
> spec-LC/syntax.html#elements-0>): the actual tag name of X3D script
> elements would be "x3d:script". Script source code should be put in cdata
> fragments <https://dev.w3.org/html5/spec-LC/syntax.html#cdata-sections>.

No,  in html5 CDATA sections are only used in 'foreign content', see
https://dev.w3.org/html5/spec-LC/syntax.html#cdata-sections :

3. CDATA sections can only be used in foreign content (MathML or SVG)

and <script> is considered raw text content. In xhtml, one should use CDATA
for script source code.

In XHTML, a valid xml namespace would be declared and used.

For xhtml, there is no problem if the type attribute of the script node is
for example 'application/vrmlscript' .

What do you think about the fields attribute proposal for x3d scripts nodes
?

Thanks for chiming in, Andreas

Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.