[x3d-public] [x3d] Minutes of the X3D V4.0 Open Meeting on X3D / DOM Integration 9th November 2016

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Nov 16 08:53:47 PST 2016

One comment (for now)...

> _Opening remarks by the co-chair_
>
> The goal is to develop a standard, or series of standards, for X3D
> that includes the integration of X3D into HTML web pages. So I ask:
>
> To achieve that goal what topics do you think are important?
>
> For example, in order to integrate with the DOM/HTML event model what
> topics do we need to cover?
>
> Do we need DOM/HTML element interface definitions, and what form
> should these take? Should these be of a similar nature to those in SVG
> 2 (https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/) or XML3D
> (http://xml3d.org/xml3d/specification/latest/)?
>
> What part should CSS play?
>
> Do we need any additional nodes that might cover VR/AR/MAR/ or
> specific platform usage such as mobile?
>
> There are other issues I was not intending to cover today, such as
> Prototypes and Scripts, DEF/USE vs id/idref, capitalization.

idref is not in HTML. The only references I can find for it refer to
DTDs. The W3C HTML5 spec lists 'id' but not 'idref' as a global
attribute (https://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dom.html#global-attributes).

Using 'idref' as an equivalent to 'USE' would be an extension in the
same category as 'USE'.

JavaScript can have multiple references to the same node stored in
memory; however, each occurrence of a node (element in HTML-speak)
creates a separate memory copy in the DOM. This is different from the
X3D implementations of DEF/USE where only the DEFfed node is stored and
all of the USE nodes reference the DEF instance.

Unreal and perhaps Unity create a class for each item. Reuse of items
reference the class instance. Individual items may use an exact copy or
override some of the class properties. These can also be used as exact
copies or a super-class of the next generation/modification items.

--
*Leonard Daly*
3D Systems & Cloud Consultant