[x3d-public] Essential Characteristics of X3D

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 19 12:13:56 PST 2016

One real important item in the standards-track for web3D is that you
have a couple of implementations, at least one open and free. I'm just
saying from experience that the best way to try and enter the process
is to put in a spec comment, then follow up with documentation and get
interest in a second implementation by another conforming x3D browser.
Basically web3d has a special relationship with appropriate parts of
ISO that allows a project with web3d BOD approval to propose a spec
project. If the ISO group says OK then a working group can provide
example implemtations and spec pages to the ISO members to vote on
using a process that includes having the members comment and vote on a
couple of drafts Working Draft (internal web3d), Committe Draft (first
vote by ISO memebers), DIS (second vote) then leading up to an IS
(International Standard) version of the documentation. Web3D is not
usual in that web3d maintains enough control to provide free access to
the ISO spec.
Thanks,
Joe