[x3d-public] Cobweb X3D Browser: javascript implementation with best X3D coverage, now available within X3D Examples Archives

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Oct 3 18:29:19 PDT 2016

More progress: long long upgrade effort on autogeneration of X3D Examples archives finally came to fruition this weekend.

In addition to Cobweb/X3DOM file links in upper-right-hand corner: every one of of the X3D Examples can now be directly browsed with Cobweb, instead of requiring a plugin.

Example, with screenshot attached:

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/ChemicalMarkupLanguage

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/ChemicalMarkupLanguage/CaffeineIndex.html

Of related note is that the two dozen ChemicalMarkupLanguage examples are excellent examples of using X3D Prototypes without Script nodes; each scene is fully autogenerated from original CML data models.  To learn more:

	This process is described in the paper by Nicholas F. Polys,
	"Stylesheet Transformations for Interactive Visualization: Towards a Web3D Chemistry Curricula,"
	originally published in Proceedings of Web3D 2003 Symposium, St. Malo France, 9-12 March 2003, ACM Press.
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/ChemicalMarkupLanguage/Polys.StylesheetTransformationsInteractiveVisualization.Web3d2003Symposium.pdf

Gee, it all still works.  And on, and on, and on, etc. etc. times 3800+ examples.  "We're having fun now!"

Bonus: today's new release of Cobweb 2.1 was integrated without apparent mishap this morning and successfully uploaded across all of the example archives.

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

	http://titania.create3000.de/cobweb

As reported already to Holger, Cobweb versions 1.28 and 2.1 all appears to test OK on Firefox Chrome Opera (on Windows) and Safari (Mac OSX and iPad).

Anomalies:
- Chrome doesn't work on local scenes (due to Cross-Origin Resource Sharing CORS restrictions), see Cobweb help at
	http://titania.create3000.de/cobweb/#c455
- iPad Safari doesn't pass through navigation commands to Cobweb, so "view only" mode.  Animation works.
- Not sure why Internet Explorer IE11 isn't working for me in Microsoft Edge mode; the built-in debugger gave no excuse.

Sleuthing and improvement continues, YMMV.

As ever, the "checkmark" button at top center of each scene-index page allows checking a scene's correctness using the X3D Validator.  When problems are found, that helps us diagnose bugs effectively: is it an error in the X3D scene, or a problem in the player?  Quality assurance (QA) helps everyone.  Check for yourself:

	https://savage.nps.edu/X3dValidator?url=http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/ChemicalMarkupLanguage/Caffeine.x3d

Future work for the X3D Examples: enable user selection of default Cobweb, X3DOM or legacy-plugin viewing as an option.  Meanwhile links on each SceneNameIndex.html page enable all such testing right now.

Step by step, we are on our way towards making plugins unnecessary when browsing X3D on a web page.

Test reports welcome.  Have fun with X3D Examples!  8)