[x3d-public] [x3d] Agenda for X3D WG Meeting; .htaccess to view draft specification directories

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Oct 5 09:58:58 PDT 2016

(As requested during today' teleconference.)

Suggest adding .htaccess to draft specification subdirectory trees.

This can facilitate editorial review of the document, allowing:
- online inspection of subdirectory trees,
- detection of missing assets that are unlocatable due to broken links,
- simplify reporting of these kinds of issues so that other reviewers can look at them.

Guidance includes when (and when not) to use them is provided by Apache.
	https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/htaccess.html

Motivation: reviewing issues take time to discuss, and even more time and potential confusion with international participants.  Helping reviewers to a good job and not waste time helps everyone.

I think the benefits (to our review process) outweigh any risks (which are handled already, e.g. no spam or malware included).

Example .htaccess file follows:
# ENABLE DIRECTORY VIEWS
Options +Indexes